Two months on, I thought it might be timely to give an update on the goals I set for our family in January. Here is a recap of the goals I set and a few points about our progress.
1. I would like to reduce the stuff in our house by 1000 more items by Jan 1st 2015.
- We have removed 191 items from our house since January 1st.
- On the flip side, we have allowed 55 items to enter our house since January 1st.
- We can do much better here. In April we are going to play the Minimalists Game for a month. We’d love you to join us on our Facebook page by posting the items you remove.
2. I would like to further reduce the number of tubs in the storeroom by at least one 60 litre tub by Jan 1st 2015.
- I have made no progress with this, but as I write I have asked BP to bring the tubs in from the storeroom for me to get a start.
3. I would like to maintain a clear dining room surface, permanently. (With the exception of times of high volumes of at home work, such as report writing time, when it doubles as my desk and some clutter is necessary.)
- I am mostly doing really well with this. Each night I dedicate 10 minutes to putting away the things that have made their way onto the table during the day. I now use the table as desk, which adds a little to the confusion.
- In general what I have learned from this is that routinely dedicating small amounts of time to difficult tasks can greatly reduce the stress they cause.
4. I would like to sell (or, failing that, donate) all of the items that I currently have set aside for eBay by June 30th this year.
- I am making progress with this. I have listed 17 items and so far sold 7.
5. I would like to read 5 books on my to-read shelves by 1st Jan 2015.
- I have read two books from the to-read shelves, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (which, strictly speaking, I listened to on audio book travelling to and from work) and NW by Zadie Smith.
- I am currently reading a third book, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.
- I may have pitched this goal a little low, but at least it’s achievable!
I love that these goals are keeping me on track. I would highly recommend setting your own goals if you want to achieve great or small things in simplifying your life this year.