BP and I started a family tradition a few years ago. I’m not sure we knew we were starting one when we began, but it has become something we look forward to each year as December approaches. For each day of December until Christmas day we watch a Christmas television special from one of our favourite TV shows or, if we have time, a Christmas movie.
It sounds a little cheesy and from the outset it might seem really repetitive watching a different group of people celebrate Christmas every day for 25 days. The thing is, Christmas movies and Christmas specials almost always have some up-lifting message or cheery ending. It tends to make me feel quite good about Christmas, instead of cynical, like I used to be.
Some of our favourites are:
- the 30 Rock Christmas special where Jack and Liz try to find the coolest presents for each other they can manage without spending any money,
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,
- the first Simpsons Christmas,
- Roseanne’s Christmas special ‘Santa Claus’,
- Home Alone 1 & 2,
- Scrooged, mostly for Bill Murray
- Of course, It’s a Wonderful Life.
So what did we watch today? Well, since we relaxed our Little Fearse no-TV rule we thought we’d better kick it off with something we could share…
Help me out here – do you have any great, unique traditions that your family has created? Also, any suggestions for Christmas TV specials or films that we should add to our list this year?